Meet my Tatra(s)

Everyone has his story with his Tatra and it depends only on him, if he shares it with us
Bo Oedegaard
Discussing

Meet my Tatra(s)

Post by Bo Oedegaard » Wed, 06 Jul 2005 12:40

I thought this thread could be the place to introduce our cars to each other. I'll start off with my own.

I wanted a T613 ever since read about them as a child in the mid-70's. Of course then they were totally unavailable to us outside Czechoslovakia, so I never thought I would actually own one!

In the early 90's I once again got the fever, and by then it was possible to actually purchase one. However, having a couple of other classic cars (and a wife!), it took a few years before I finally became a Tatra-owner in 1999, buying this ex-Praha Mesto Policie T613-3 from 1987:
http://www.t613-4.webbyen.dk/billed.asp ... ed=5326097

I originally planned to only use the car for fun as replacement for my trusty old Ford Zephyr, which I had taken apart for a light restoration (it's still apart!), but it soon dawned on me, that the Tatra was utterly reliable and comfortable. And as insurance on these cars is quite high here in DK, I sold my daily driver and used the Tatra full-time. It became apparent to me, that a Tatra T613 has everything you can want from a car: Comfort, reliability, endurance, space, engine power (and oh!....That sound!) and a very distinctive look. So even though my T613-3 was in quite good nick, I decided to buy the best Tatra I could find (and afford).

I was originally after a black T613 Speciál, due to a high registration tax in DK for newer Tatras. But during summer 2000 when we visited my contact in Praha to view one, my wife did not like the Speciál one little bit! She claimed it looked like a hearse or a SAAB (even worse according to her). "Why can't we have one of those?", she asked and pointed towards another car

This car was a 1995 T613-4 Mi Long in metallic green:
http://www.t613-4.webbyen.dk/billed.asp ... ed=5326098

Even though this car would cost me substantially more than the Speciál, I held her to it, and in Spring 2001 I collected my new car.

Before it ended up in my contact's store, it had led an interesting life. The car was delivered new to a leasing company, which leased it to a senior businessman. At some point he sold(!) it and died shortly after. The leasing company reported it stolen and it was some time later confiscated from the unsuspecting new owner. Both the buyer and the leasing company claimed ownership of the car, and the case went into litigation. Meanwhile the car was put in storage, where my contact bought it, initially without papers. Later the case was resolved in favour of the leasing company so he eventually got the cars papers as well.

The car then waited for me to sell the red T613-3, which I did during winter 2003 (it now resides in Wolverhampton, Great Britain), and it was finally registered with Danish license plates in spring 2004.

It did have some rust "in the usual places" (all T613-owners will know where they are!) and a badly repaired crash damage to the right side, so in winter 2005 I drove it to the very talented Petr Kosina in Usti nad Labem to have refurbished and at the same time modified to M95 looks (bumpers + front and rear trim). The result was stunningly beatiful, except that the painter had misunderstood color scheme on the front mask an mixed up the silver and green areas:http://www.t613-4.webbyen.dk/billed.asp ... ed=5326091

I have since corrected this, and the car is now exactly as I want it:
http://www.t613-4.webbyen.dk/billed.asp ... ed=5326093

I'm very happy with the car, but the change from a completely basic T613-3 to the higly electronic Mi has not been completely without problems! For a long time I nicknamed the car "Windows 95", because it regularly froze, which is pretty annoying in normal traffic! I have since gone through most of the wiring and cleaned all connectors, which appears to have somewhat solved the problem. I wouldnt call it completely stable though......
Suffice to say that I have several good subjects to the technical section of this forum

Now, go on. Show me YOUR cars!
Last edited by Bo Oedegaard on Wed, 06 Jul 2005 18:20, edited 1 time in total.
Keep well!
Bo
"The older I get, the better I was!"

Thomas
Discussion newbie

Post by Thomas » Wed, 06 Jul 2005 14:19

Bo, from what I read I believe your Tatra must also have a very low number on the clock..

Bo Oedegaard
Discussing

Post by Bo Oedegaard » Wed, 06 Jul 2005 18:25

When I bought it, it had done 149.000 km. Remember that like most other T613's (and T603's) this car was a "professional". But we have a T613 here in DK that has only done around 30.000 km, has never driven during winter and was always parked in a garage. - Talk about a rare Tatra!
Keep well!
Bo

etienne
Discussion system administrator

Post by etienne » Wed, 06 Jul 2005 19:03

Bo,

so about my Tatras... currently I own a T613-1, T613-Special, T613-M95 and a T603...

To tell the stories would take VERY long but shortly about my newest "love", the T613-1...

My girlfriend knows a long time that I am a Tatra fan... one day she came up and told me "The old Mr. xx has a nice looking chromka (our name for a chrome Tatra (613-1, 613-2)... My first reaction was "yeah, another grandpa tuning fan (typical status of a Tatra - parts from Skoda, combined with parts of 613-3 and so on)... but somehow she "forced" me to go to the car...

When I entered the garage I though... "Well at least it isn't bad from behind" but then I though... Wait where are the headrests ? Which type of speedometer is this... I opened the front hood and saw "1978"... then I knew it - I found a REAL T613-1 from 1978 will all details, complete, in a perfect condition with 93000 km driven... I knew that car has to be mine. i used all the money I had, overdrawn all accounts and bought it, cleaned it and the result is on the photo... it is the ORIGINAL "AS FOUND" condition (except new lights) at the this years Tatra event "CERVENY KAMEN" (more photos under http://ck.tatraportal.sk)
Attachments
t61312.jpg
t61312.jpg (39.68 KiB) Viewed 2067 times
t61314.jpg
t61314.jpg (39.87 KiB) Viewed 2066 times
t61315.jpg
t61315.jpg (47.54 KiB) Viewed 2064 times

Bo Oedegaard
Discussing

Post by Bo Oedegaard » Thu, 11 Aug 2005 08:49

Hi again

Sorry for staying quiet for so long, but my family and I have just been away on summer holiday (in the Czech repuclic).

Anyway, what an absolutely lovely car you have there! And in original conditon, that's very rare. Let's face it, even though these cars are rock solid mechanically, they don't really age that well :roll:

By the way, am I right in assuming that popularity and prices are going steadily upwards for the older T613's now? Just like they have for years on the T603's.
Keep well!
Bo

Mojzo
Discussion newbie

Post by Mojzo » Sun, 21 Aug 2005 08:49

Well, I think I should also add some picture of my precious.

For 4th year now, I own Tatra 613-3, made in 1985 by Tatra Příbor ;)
Standard engine E1/I, long final gear ratio.
This car is almost completely renovated, bodywork was in terrible condition, electric installation was called "Russian Circus" by my friends :) and so on.

Special accesories in this car include: Electric windows, central door locking system, air condition. Front seat come from Tatra 613 S, that means they are equipped with newspaper bag. Whole interior is blue and doors are upholstered with black imitation leather.

I love my Tatra, I drive it only on summer time, on during a winter, I keep it in garage.
Attachments
tmojzo.jpg
tmojzo.jpg (114.68 KiB) Viewed 1982 times

etienne
Discussion system administrator

Post by etienne » Fri, 26 Aug 2005 09:34

Bo: Regarding the prices. It is normal that prices go a little bit up each year for cars that are not very common anymore and the interest gets bigger because the cars cannot be seen on the street everyday :-)

BUT there is the difference between a normal price increase and a mad price increase. In the Slovak and Czech market it has been common in the last years that the prices for the Tatra cars have been increased by some companies who are selling them to a point where it is hard to find any buyers. A T700 from 1997 is there still for sale for about 18000 Euro. For this price you can get a 1999 BMW 750iL with about 120000 km instead of the Tatra with about 300000, old technology and less comfort... It should be really thought about this as a T700 won't be a vintage car in the next 15 years...

Generally the prices for cars differ mostly on the TYPE of the car, here a short list.

T603 - 1500-11000 Euro depending on type, condition
T613-1 - 2500-5000 Euro depending on the condition
T613-2 - 1000-3500 Euro depending on the condition
T613-3 - 1000-2500 Euro depending on the condition
T613-4 - 1000-3000 Euro depending on the condition (also if Carb or Kat)
T613-M95 - I bought mine for about 4300 Euro in a BAD condition...
T700 - 11000-22000 Euro depdending on the condition

As you can see the prices differ from the Czech republic, because somehow the Tatra is propably not accepted as a vintage car or as a car worth much money, but as everywhere you can also find here some guys who will tell you that Tatra is worth millions :-)

Logically it is not possible to get a T613-1 "on order" or a nice T613-2. It needs much time to get a nice car but as you can see the prices differ very much from the prices of the resellers.

It is (i think) a good idea to buy a Tatra from Slovakia without any resellers by simply asking here in the forum. You can save much money.